Our highest and best land use analyses are used to determine optimal development potential for unique and/ or challenging properties as well as to assess the development and financial impacts of a partial land taking for public rights-of-way. Property purchases/dispositions, right-of-way acquisitions, development feasibility analyses, expropriations, and litigation matters can also be supported by our land use evaluation strategies.
We have prepared numerous highest and best land use assessments - for private land owners, property appraisers, municipal governments, senior government agencies, financial institutions, developers and investor groups. While the study approach is essentially similar in each case - the impetus for the study, the manner in which the information is used, and the physical characteristics of each site are always unique.
In determining the highest and best use of a subject property, we will typically prepare one or more conceptual site plans to determine a property's optimal development potential - i.e., confirmation of net developable site areas, floor area/unit yields, etc. Our land use analyses are supported by a detailed planning rationale, and research to consider all pertinent factors, including:
- Property size and location
- Physical site characteristics
- Official Community Plan designation(s)
- Existing and proposed zoning
- Municipal planning and land use policies
- Required environmental setbacks and dedications
- Market supply/demand conditions
- Feasibility and cost of servicing the land
- Site access opportunities
- Surrounding land use context
- Local development activity
Our highest and best land use analyses:
- Clearly identify a property's highest and best land use
- Enable property appraisers to establish a more precise and supportable market value
- Help simplify the negotiation process
- Allow settlements to be reached in a more timely manner
- Atlus Group
- British Pacific Properties Ltd.
- District of West Vancouver
- City of Surrey
- Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
- Nathanson, Schachter & Thompson LLP
- Robertson, Downe, & Mullally
- Peterson Stark Scott Barristers and Solicitors
Our Successful Projects
- Delsom Estates (Sunstone Community)
PLG acted as the lead consultant for a 107 acre masterplanned community which included park, commercial, multi-family and single family uses at 84th Avenue and Nordel Way, Delta. Learn more
- Bear Creek Plaza
PLG was the coordinating consultant for converting 7 low density residential lots (3 acres) into a neighbourhood commercial centre at 88 Avenue and King George Highway, Surrey.
- Campbell Heights North Business Park
PLG was the planning consultant for the 305 acre multiphase industrial subdivision and rezoning approval at 32nd Avenue and 192nd Street, Surrey. Learn more
- 64th Avenue / Mufford Crescent Overpass
PLG was commissioned to manage the Transportation Corridor Use approval from the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC). The proposal involved impacts on agriculture lands and complex land acquisition issues. Learn more
- 168th Street and 12th Avenue, Surrey
PLG was the coordinating consultant to identify the developable potential within a very environmentally constrained site with an area of 40 acres.
- PacificLink Business Park
PLG was the coordinating consultant for this 80 acre multi use site at Scott Road and 103A Avenue Surrey. We drafted a Comprehensive Development Zoning Bylaw to permit mixed-use development and minimize road requirements. Learn more
"Our success is the direct result of your ability to understand the needs of approval agencies and to ensure maximum utilization of the property."